Dear Members of the POTS Community,
As Part of the Solution (POTS) responds to the Coronavirus, I wanted to give you an update. POTS remains open for all services, and we are doing everything possible to ensure that the people we serve continue to receive life-sustaining benefits and services.
We anticipate that this outbreak will pose special problems for people experiencing poverty and homelessness. Many Bronx residents will experience at least a temporary pay cut, putting their stable access to housing, healthcare, and nutrition at even greater risk.
POTS is committed for the duration of the pandemic to maintaining a safe, sanitary, and comfortable environment that serves our entire community – including clients, staff, and volunteers – and we are following all best-practices as advised by public health authorities.
Some of the steps we are taking include:
– Increasing the frequency of deep cleaning and disinfecting of all surface areas in our facility;
– Developing program service plans to reduce crowding and waiting in common areas;
– Implementing a new policy on regular glove changes in the Community Dining Room and extra time for handwashing;
– Re-structuring the Community Dining Room table setup to allow for thorough cleaning after each meal seating;
– Ensuring that we are well-stocked in personal hygiene materials such as hand sanitizer and soap for our staff, volunteers and clients; and
– Encouraging all staff and volunteers to stay home should they not be feeling well.
Another change which has been necessitated is the postponement of our Spring Gala. Please watch for an announcement about a re-scheduled date in the near future.
It would be difficult to overstate the importance of your gifts of volunteer service and financial support at this time. If you can lend a hand as a volunteer, please let us know. If you can make a contribution, your gift will help us continue to provide hot meals and groceries, continued Day-to-Day and Next Step services, and a safe, clean, and welcoming environment.
Thank you for being part of the solution, and for making sure that our neighbors in need continue to access help and hope.
Christina Hanson, Executive Director